There is no period in the Christian life where we are not beset by temptation. Despite time and spiritual maturity, temptation is always at the Christian’s side, seeking to undermine and destroy our Christian faith. Chapter 13 of the London Baptist Confession of Faith is right when it states, “The Christian is involved in a continual and irreconcilable war.” It is no wonder Jesus tells us to pray, “lead us not into temptation” (Matt 6:9-13). In our passage this week Solomon paints a graphic picture to show the importance of holding fast to wisdom since temptation seduces and destroys the simple. We learn from this message that since we live in a world full of temptations, God calls us to earnestly and diligently avoid temptation at all costs.
Six ways to avoid temptation:
- Store up God’s commands within you (vv. 1-5)
- Avoid the path of temptation (vv. 6-9)
- Avoid the people who may tempt you (vv. 10-12)
- Avoid being passive in the face of temptation (v. 13)Don’t listen to a defense of sin (vv. 14-20)
- Consider who you are following (vv. 21-27)