Imitate God and Walk in Light | Ephesians 5:3-14
Becoming a Christian entails the reception of an entirely new identity that Paul identifies as “light.” Believers are here called to live in accordance with their new identity, which will involve two important activities: (1) Christians need to entirely dissociate themselves from lifestyles associated with “darkness,” that is, evil, sinful behaviours; and, (2) Christians are to expose the wicked deeds of the world that the world might be saved, and confront sin in erring believers for them to be restored. In this lesson we learn that as God’s beloved children we are to walk as children of light in this dark world, bearing the fruits of the spirit and exposing the deeds of darkness.
- BE PURE: Don’t partner with the world (vv. 3-4, 5, 7)
- BE THANKFUL: Replace covetousness for thankfulness (v. 4b)
- BE WISE: Don’t be deceived (v. 6)
- BE PLEASING: Bear fruit that is pleasing to God (v. 9)
- EXPOSE SIN: Shine the light on sin to save (vv. 11-14)